Investment in Infrastructure
- Roads. Traffic is no longer just a seasonal problem in Sussex County – and it is only getting worse as the population, particularly in eastern Sussex County, continues to grow at a rapid pace. Yet despite this obvious and growing problem, Sussex County receives a lower proportion of funding for road projects than its upstate counterparts. In fact, even though 23% of the State’s population resides in Sussex County, the County received only 9% of the State’s Dept. of Transportation Capital Transportation budget for major road improvement projects in Fiscal Year 2018. And this figure does not consider the tremendous growth in eastern Sussex County, particularly in Senate District 6 where the number of registered voters has risen 27% in just under six years. As State Senator, I will work to balance budget inequities and obtain the funds needed to improve Sussex County’s roads NOW!
- Clean Water. Our water resources are precious and require responsible stewardship. As State Senator, I will work to protect our drinking water by ensuring sufficient funds are provided for the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) to monitor pollution sources and enforce clean water laws. I will also focus on improving state and county wastewater infrastructure. I worked hard over many years as Sussex County Administrator and Finance Director to obtain funding and financing for numerous sewer projects, from Ellendale to Fenwick Island, and will continue to do so as Senator.
- Open Space/Farmland Preservation. Like many, I treasure the open spaces our county provides. As State Senator, I will work to ensure consistent funding to secure and preserve open space and agriculture lands for future generations.
Increased Access to Medical Care
Waiting for weeks or months to see a doctor is a serious problem faced by many of us in this region, and for new residents, that wait time could be as long as a year or more. I will work on long-term solutions to encourage medical professionals to come to Delaware and remain here, such as, establishing a local medical school, new training options for medical professionals, and creating incentives for doctors to establish practices in Delaware.
Develop a Sustainable Budget that Works for All
Delaware’s future depends on maintaining a thoughtful and sustainable budget. I will leverage my decades of financial and budgeting experience to ensure Delaware’s budget addresses the priorities of citizens in both the near–and long-term. You can count on me to:
- Perform a bottom-up review of state expenditures to reduce costs where appropriate
- Closely review revenues to promote fairness and look for new growth opportunities
- Ensure the state maintains a workable rainy day fund to offset revenue and expenditure fluctuations
Tax Breaks to Help Delaware’s Middle Class
Advancing our middle class is a top priority. While preserving a balanced and sustainable budget, I will also work to:
- Broaden the state tax deduction for healthcare expenses
- Increase tax deductions for education costs, such as:
- Tax breaks for student loan interest
- State tax deduction for 529 College Savings Plan contributions
- Tax breaks allowing Delaware residents to deduct a percentage of college or trade school tuition costs for 10 years after graduation
Fight the Opioid Epidemic
Far too many have felt the impact of the opioid epidemic. I will work to increase funding for prevention, education, and rehabilitation services to battle the disease of addiction.
I firmly believe all Delawareans, regardless of sex, race, ethnicity, language, age, ability, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or national origin must be treated the same under the law.